Designated Operator Services
On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Title XV, Subtitle B of this act contains amendments that created the underground storage tank (UST) program. This law significantly affects federal and state underground storage tank programs and will require major changes to the programs, and is aimed at reducing underground storage tank releases to our environment.
The Federal Energy Policy Act of 2005 required that each facility have three types of designated operators and be required to show proof of their training. The following is a short description of the Class Operators that must be trained.
Class A Operator is any person having primary responsibility for on-site operation and maintenance of underground storage tank systems.
Class B Operator is any person having daily on-site responsibility for the operation and maintenance of underground storage tank systems.
Class C Operator is any on-site employee having primary responsibility for addressing emergencies presented by a spill or release from an underground storage tank system.
OCCU-TEC Designated Operator Scope of Work:
- Review alarm log for previous month and check that each alarm condition documented was responded to appropriately.
- Inspect spill containers and containment sumps as required for the presence of hazardous materials, water, or debris and verify the location of monitoring equipment in those areas to ensure that they are in the proper position to detect a leak at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Verify that all required testing and maintenance has been completed and document the dates these activities occurred.
- Verify that all employees are trained and provide on-the-job training at required intervals.
In addition to the standard Designated UST Operator scope of work, we offer an enhanced level of service that covers the additional elements necessary for successful operation:
Enhanced Scope of Work:
- AST and UST installation, repair, preventative maintenance and removals
- Safety Reviews
- Fuel Testing and Treatment
- Upgrade recommendations
- STI Inspections
- Cathodic Protection
- Emergency Fuel Delivery
- SPCC’s and ICP’s
- Tank Gauging Systems installation and repair
- Review Facility and UST Operating Permits
Employees from senior management to store clerks are required to undergo some form of designated operator training. The type of training will vary depending on the individual job requirements. In general, all operators must have some understanding of UST systems as it pertains to leak detection, spill prevention, overfill prevention, corrosion protection and emergency response procedures. For certain station owners, one person may be the designated operator for all three classes. OCCU-TEC offers:
- Class A/B training
- Class C training
Click here to access training classes https://app.passtesting.com/register?director=43